Friday, June 18, 2010

de Segovia a Seville

I write this post from the AVE as we travel from Segovia to Seville (about a 2.5 hour train ride). We are very excited to spend the next couple of days there as we continue our journey to the southern coast of Spain, the Costa del Sol (we’ll be staying in Estepona). But first, I wanted to share some of our events, stories, and pictures from our couple of days in historic Segovia.

You’ll see from Leo’s previous post that we left Madrid and arrived in Segovia on Wednesday evening. Excited for a ‘quick trip’ out of the city, we really had no idea the beauty and history we were in store for. The city (or at least the historic, now a bit touristy part) is centered around a Roman aquaduct- such an incredible sight, and again, just reminds you how small you really are. Thursday morning, we started con nuestro desayuno favorito- cafĂ© solo, pan y mantequilla, y zumo (jugo) naranja before heading out for a day filled with sightseeing. Our hotel was near the aquaduct, at the bottom of a plaza (meaning the rest of the town and sights was all up hill and up many many steps… better to get that out of the way in the beginning of the day!). We explored back roads off the main path to view small alleys, gorgeous doors and windows (a photo op request from my girl Dana McG), and hidden restaurants. Before touring the Alcazar and the Cathedral, we came upon a flea (& farmer’s) market and decided to but some local fruit: naranjas, manzanas y cerezas… only two handfuls of cerezas (and for those of you who know me well, know that’s barely ANY in my book!).





Obviously, the tours of both the Alcazar and Cathedral were memorable (and although the photos don’t even capture half the experience, you can get the basic idea), I wanted to share some of our other memories and anecdotes from yesterday:
*While in a busier section of the town, I look down the street to see a white Great Pyrenees dog (for those that never knew our family’s dog in Oklahoma and New Mexico, Claire was this type- a large white sheep-herding dog) walking down the street… with mail in his mouth! A mail carrying dog! While we were unable to capture the exact moment (he was quite speedy as well) with his head turned to us, we later caught a shot of him at a local shop, ‘keeping guard’ (i.e., begging for us to pet him).


*There is nothing quite like taking a snack break, munching on local fruit, under the shadow of the Alcazar while listening to the birds and little boys play around a statuesque fountain.

*We had the most fantastic lunch yesterday. While the food es muy delicioso, it was more about the adventure of finding a new place, having a couple of beers and for Leo, the chichironas tapas (the boy loves his pig fat… almost as much as futbol). I was excited to order the local sopa, las judiones de La Granja: soup with giant, flat, white beans, chorizo, and jamon. So delicious that I bought a bag of the beans to bring home to try to make myself. Thanks to my friend Courtney’s suggestion, I’ve been keeping a mental list of recipes to share. I’ll have to find a suitable bean as a replacement and can only hope I can capture at least 50% of the flavor!

*More about food (but Vegetarians be ware)… you can’t come to Segovia without having a taste of cochinillo asado: roast suckling pig (21 days of mother’s milk, into the oven, and onto our plate!). Not my favorite of meals so far (a VERY rich pork, with a hint of gamey-ness… but damn, that skin is gooood). It’s all about the experiences, right?

*I am so thankful of how (carry-on rolling backpack and over the shoulder travel purse) and some of the things I have packed (given this is my first international experience). Here are what I feel are some must haves if you will be traveling: couple of pairs of Ex Officio (or Brook’s Moving Comfort) underware- wicking, easily washable, and wonderful; Go Lite’s (or purchased through Title 9) reversible travel dress- Beet? Black? Hard to beat!; Dr. Bronner’s bar soap- used as minty fresh laundry soap (in the sink), shaving cream, and shampoo so far; and last and far from least, a travel partner that you love (and it doesn’t hurt if he speaks the language of the country you are visiting, but it is not required). What is required is that you travel with someone with whom you can not only share the cultural and culinary experiences, but with someone with who you can easily verbally and nonverbally communicate with. I am truly blessed to have all of those things with me on this journey! How lucky am I??

4 comments:

  1. I have no witty anecdote, just wanted to comment so you know I'm reading it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm famous!!!!
    Internationally!
    woot!

    I love that you wandered alleys. But you know this, I'm sure. :) The food is making my mouth water. WANT that sopa sooooo bad. can't wait for you to make it!

    You both say such sweet things to each other, I want to puke...I mean, you make me smile. Yup, that's what I meant. :) lol

    can't wait to read more, even if my complexion can't handle it...I am this Wicked shade of green...

    ReplyDelete
  3. great travel advice... i see a book in your future... Paige

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was googling "Segovia to Seville" and came upon your page. Other sources say there is no train from Segovia to Seville, but I thought I'd ask you. Did you go directly from Segovia to Seville? Or did you have to go back up to Madrid for Seville?

    ReplyDelete